Sewing pajama pants for the boys has been on my crafting to do list since, um, September. But you know, I had a baby, and then the holidays (excuses, excuses), and well, it's okay that they're still wearing summer short pj's in January, right? Um, no. They're COLD! So, I started on round one last night, making a pair for each of them (while Steve was swearing away in the basement working on that desk--oh my, what a project).
(click on the image to go to a Flickr photo, complete with heads). Like the summer version of the same project, these are all from old clothing, except this time I tried to be mindful of not having all stripes. Adelaide's pants are an old tank top of mine that shrunk (or more likely, I grew. but let's pretend it shrunk), and Ezra's are from a pair of flannel pants that I wore for far too many years. For some reason (because I'm a Yankee? I don't know), I get a disturbing amount of pleasure out of this kind of recycling--especially when I can use the bottom of the clothing as the 'new' hems, saving even more time. I'm weird, I know.
And some for Calvin too (couldn't seem to get six legs in one shot today--they're all on the go). He picked this from an old flannel shirt of Steve's, and of course, to his nature, they're not pajama pants, they're 'jungle hunting' pants. You know, for tracking lions and the like. Unfortunately, I think if Calvin grows another inch (I hear they keep growing), I don't think I'll be making many pants for him in the future from old clothing so easily--even Steve's XL shirts are getting too small for his leg length. Gotta get a bit more creative, I suppose.
Oh, and for those of you who will want to know, I made these by tracing a pair of each of their pants. Kath, of Red Current made a wonderful tutorial on making kids pants a while back for anyone looking for some tips.