So whaddya say? 7 Random things? Heck, why not. (Thanks for the tags, sweet readers)
1. My first car was a blue 1983 Volkswagon Vanagon (it was my parents before mine). In college my boyfriend had a (orange!) 1976 Westfalia. Yes, we had matching vans - except that they were VW vans of course, and so only one of them ever worked at a time. I loved mine soooo much, even though it got me pulled over more times than I can recount, and put me on the side of the road, broken down with nearly every trip. But that's forgiven because, really, some of the best times were had broken down on the side of the road anyway. The kids and I saw a super modified VW westfalia recently that had a VW Bug 'top' sodered onto the top of the van - like a big bubble. Does that make sense? And does anyone around here know anything about it? It was so fabulous (the boys haven't stopped talking about it), and it made me highly nostalgic for my first car (how fun would it be to convert one of those to biodiesel with the kids in a few years?!). Okay, moving on...this could take forever. Am I really only on #1?
2. My Portland Public Library fines right now are $66.98. I'm terrible at returning library books, but console myself by thinking this is how I support my Public Library. Hmn - I know, bad. (Oh, and speaking of the Portland Public Library - if you're local, don't forget to vote today!)
3. I'm three credits short of my bachelors degree in Women's Studies. I marched, and then never finished my Senior Independent Study. Usually, this doesn't stress me out (I loved college. I learned a ton about a lot of things. Do I really need a piece of paper to tell me that?), but sometimes...I pick up the local college catalog and contemplate finishing.
4. A few months back, we cancelled cable and moved the TV into a closet. A little surprisingly, it's hardly been mentioned since. Until I was in the grocery store checkout line last week and saw something about a thirtysomething reunion, and I got all twitchy and was ready to reinstate cable RIGHT THEN. I bought the magazine (um, People) only to find out that it isn't really happening (but they got me to buy the magazine - tricky them!). I LOVED that show, even though I was all of 14 when it was in it's prime.
5. I have a bad habit of listening to a favorite album so much that I can't ever listen to it again. Recently kicked out for overconsumption: Tori Amos' American Doll Posse, Tom Waits' Orphans, and Belle and Sebastian's The Life Pursuit. All very good albums that I sadly cannot listen to EVER AGAIN. Currently, I'm trying to save Jeff Tweedy's Sunken Treasure before it's too late (which means just one listen a day. ONE.)
6. I haven't knit a stitch in months. Which is a bummer especially considering the project I started for a pregnant friend nine months ago is now due. Solution? Drag the TV out of the closet and rent some DVD's - first up Volver (I love Almovodar's films, but I'm very,very behind on movie watching - can't wait to see this one), and then Miss Potter (out next week!). That ought to get me through a baby sweater.
Did you really just read all of that? You're so nice.