A few things we learned this weekend:
1. My little Winnie-the-Pooh book lover learned a little bit about a bees nest. Kicking said nest - or rather - "tapping it gently with my foot" is probably not such a good idea.
2. Next, and rather quickly, we learned that Ezra is highly allergic to bees, or rather "Yellow jackets!" as he has corrected all of us (and the nurses and doctors) repeatedly.
3. Mama learned - for the third time in one year - that having a separate pediatric emergency room is a brilliant idea. Ingenious, actually, and I'm eternally grateful for it and the people who work there. Really - I love it there. Well, you know what I mean.
4. A wonder to his swollen-shut eyes, Ezra learned all about flat-screen TV's (apparently the education I'm providing him is lacking in important things like this). And the remote that was handed to him by the nurse upon entering our room? Like gold to my little guy. What more does one need? (besides some benadryl and epinephrin.)
5. He also gained an new idol in the "hospital music show man," a.k.a. Lawrence Welk (to whom he's "rocking out" to in the photo above). Our friend Lawrence now ranks right up there with G. Love and Jimi Hendrix in Ezra's book. That's cool.
6. I learned that we needed a new go-everywhere-with-us-all-the-time bag to hold our latest accessory - the epi pen. And yes, that's the culprit insect embroidered on the bag. Luckily Ezra shares my twisted sense of humor - he requested the yellow jacket be put there. He still thinks they're pretty cool - "You just never can tell with bees".
Oh, and Hi Portland! Thanks, Justin - for the really lovely article in today's Portland Press Herald, and to Jack for the beautiful photographs (and for letting me ogle his camera)! And, Welcome! - to anyone who might be here for the first time!