When I first dreamed up this little quilt last summer, I knew (or hoped rather, at that point) that this home would be ours. That we would be trading our proximity to the beloved shore for so very many other things we had been longing for (and yet, it still really isn't that far away, and for that I am most grateful indeed). With all of that in mind, this quilt was always intended for this very room. And it was from these half-done quilt squares that I found the wall color for this room (paint post here), and this comfy family couch, and nearly everything else I've gathered here.
The one thing missing has been the quilt...which for one reason or another, while we were busy doing other things, sat patiently waiting this winter. I'd do a square here and there...but for the most part it has waited until this week, when I pulled all the pieces out, laid them on the floor and realized just how close it was to done. At which point, the thought of 'checking something off the list' - even a silly fun list in my head like 'making things' - well, that was just the motivation I needed to wrap it up.
The throw-size quilt (it's 60" square) - was made using the log cabin quilting method in Patchwork Style. I described that process just a little bit at the end of this post. I'm thrilled that besides the backing and batting, all the top pieces came from my shelves, and are remnants of other projects/clothing in our lives.
This was the first time that I've followed the end quilting instructions exactly by just adding the backing (rather than adding a second layer of batting, which is what I do when using this method on larger, warmth-providing bed quilts, like Adelaide's). That makes it all quite thin, but I think it works well for a throw that will be tossed and dragged around the living room as this one surely will. Again, following the pattern closely this time, I quilted 'in the ditch' and hand-tied in the middle of each square.
While I had all the pieces for this quilt still gathered, I threw together some quick pillow covers for this room full of funny little mismatched chairs (that are in line for reupholstering). A little tired of the log cabin, I pieced and quilted them differently, and added envelope closure in the back for easy removal and washing. (I use Bamboo for the pillow forms.)
I have a few more handmade treats and thrifty plans in store for this room to brighten things up and make it all just a little bit more (subtly) shore-like. But for now, I'm quite happily enjoying seeing this project done...and best of all, in use.